No Roads - Education Trek
This expedition is 8 days, with 6 days (6 nights) trekking, and one day before and after trekking in Port Moresby. 8 Day Trip Only just over 1 week of teacher school holidays! For a more detailed description of the itinerary and a map please see the detailed itinerary page.
Travel Australia to Port Moresby
Flight from Port Moresby to Efogi, Trek Efogi to Kagi.
Teaching at Kavovo Primary School (Grades 3 to 8), then walk up to Naduri Village
Teaching at Kavovo Primary School (Grades 3 to 8) and trek to Efogi
Teaching at Efogi Primary School (Grades 3 to 8)
Trek Efogi to Menari (via Brigade Hill)
Teaching at Menari Primary School (Grades 3 to 8) and flight from Menari to Port Moresby
Travel Port Moresby to Australia
Note : This Itinerary is indicative and may change due to local conditions.
Please read the following information which explains what is included, any exclusions, booking and expedition conditions and upgrades available for this expedition.
Click on the following web-links to find out more about the topics described below.
- How we Operate - why should you trek with No Roads? Learn more about how we manage safety and security, our philosophy, our team of Porters and Guides, what others say and we will bust some myths about the Kokoda trekking scene.
- Kokoda Expeditions - learn about the Kokoda Track itself, the people and terrain, the plants and animals, more about our expedition team and the different types of Kokoda adventures we offer.
- Preparation - to properly prepare for this expedition we have provided detailed information on how to plan for your expedition, prepare yourself both physically but also advice on health and medical considerations, and lastly what gear to bring (and to leave home).
- Meals - No Roads offers the highest standard of delicious and nutritious meals along the Track and special dietary considerations can be catered for if we are notified in advance.
- Military History - The history of the Kokoda Track during 1942 is nothing short of amazing. The stories of individual efforts, of triumph and defeat are ones that are still helping to shape Australia’s identity. Read our campaign overview and detailed key history events notes.
- On Expedition - To complete your preparation we encourage you to read about the three stages of the expedition grouped into before trekking, trekking and after trekking. The information in these pages will assist you greatly in preparing and understanding what to expect on expedition.
- Hand selected and trained Australian Expedition Guide, No Roads Education Advisor, and local PNG Guide for the entire expedition
- Electrolyte supplement for the expedition portion
- All domestic scheduled flights (POM to Efogi, Menari to POM)
- Equipped with a Satellite phone for emergency purposes
- AED Defibrillator on all Australian Led treks
- River rescue team and procedures - essential for large rivers
- Government Taxes (except visa charge and civil aviation terminal facilities charge)
- All meals on the Track. Meals on expedition include Curries and Pasta. (Dietary requirements can be incorporated)
- All transfers including those from the airport to the Hotel
- Food for Porters including rice, noodles, biscuits, bully beef, milo and vegetables
- All accommodation outside of Port Moresby on the trek
- Kokoda Track Authority Permit
- Guides and porters (who carry all group equipment, food, set up tents, and your shared pack etc.)
- 1 to 1 Porter-Client ratio
- A rubbish Porter that takes all our rubbish and other operators rubbish from the Track
- Tent hire (twin share) and floor mat
- 2 x nights accommodation (economy) in Port Moresby twin share (4 star Holiday Inn : the best in Port Moresby)
- Continental breakfasts in Port Moresby at the Hotel
- Teacher registration in PNG
- Snack Pack for each expedition day to get you between meals
- VHF Radio contact with Port Moresby, Kokoda and 10 other Track villages for emergency purposes.
- No Roads Education Team T-shirt
- Access to the No Roads - Education team for advice prior to the expedition
- Access to the pre-trek preparation information provided in this website.
- International flights to and from Port Moresby
- Travel Insurance (please contact us for a quote)
- PNG Visa or Passport
- Vaccinations and anti-malarial medications
- Airport Departure Taxes (civil aviation terminal facilities charge)
- Pre and Post trek meals
- Personal expenditure - items of a personal nature (i.e. art, drinks etc.)
- Excess baggage on scheduled domestic PNG flights
- Charges incurred as a result of delays beyond the control of No Roads Expeditions
- It will be necessary to be cognisant of the fact that we will be in a rural environment in PNG with no electricity and limited facilities. The target audience will be PNG villagers with limited English (we will work through interpreters) and little to no education.
- Each participant / client of a No Roads - Education expedition will be responsible for self-funding or fundraising their own expedition costs. This will be supported by the No Roads - Education team.
- An expedition shirt will be designed and supplied to all participants.
- Flights and all PNG logistical arrangements will be facilitated by NO ROADS Expeditions including the procurement of porters, food, accommodation, etc.
- A detailed list of what each participant should take will be provided to each member of the expedition 2 months prior to the expedition dates.
- Travel insurance that includes medical evacuation is considered mandatory.
- Closed Private Expeditions are not included in this schedule.
- Minimum numbers for the scheduled expeditions are required, typically 6 people. Please contact our office regarding our scheduled departures to discuss your needs.
Terms and Conditions
- No Roads Expeditions is the booking agent for www.kokodaexpeditions.com.au
- If you cancel your booking more than 90 days prior to departure your deposit will be refunded less $200 administration booking fee.
- If you cancel your booking between 45 and 90 days prior to the commencement of your Expedition you will forfeit your deposit.
- If you cancel between 45 days and 28 days before the departure date you will lose 50% of the Expedition cost.
- If you cancel up to 28 days prior to the departure date you will lose 100%of the Expedition cost.
- If after cancellation we fill your place on the Expedition and the Expedition is fully booked we will at our discretion refund your money less an amount to cover No Roads Expeditions (NRE) administration costs.
- We may, at our discretion choose to offer you another Expedition.
- Full payment is due 45 days prior to departure date, if you fail to pay by this date you can lose your place on your chosen expedition and your deposit will be forfeited.
- In the event of NRE being forced to cancel an expedition for reasons of security or personal safety (e.g. civil unrest, seismic activity ,etc.), the amount paid would be transferable to another Expedition or would be refunded, minus a reasonable amount for administration costs and cancellation fees charged by airline and accommodation companies not controlled by NRE.
- Administration fees would be calculated on a case by case basis. While acknowledging the travel warnings posted by respective Foreign Office departments NRE do not accept cancellation due to these warnings in isolation, we take into consideration information from numerous sources including reports from our local offices in the respective country and act accordingly.
- In the event of NRE cancelling an expedition we would work with all affected members to try to provide an alternative venue or the expedition fee will be refunded minus associated costs out of NRE's control.
The following liability release statements are found on our booking form and provided here for reference. You will be asked to sign a copy of this release in Port Moresby before trekking.
- I have been advised by 'No Roads Expeditions' (NRE) of the following matters in relation to my upcoming expedition with NRE.
- I have been advised that, snorkeling/swimming, trekking, climbing and especially mountaineering are inherently dangerous activities.
- I may be killed, injured, incapacitated and experience pain, illness and suffering. I may experience loss, damage or theft of my property.
- Any of the above may not be NRE's fault or the fault of anyone else. These incidents may be caused by others in my party, employees or directors of NRE, their subcontractors, my guide or wildlife, environmental factors such as ice cliff collapse, avalanche, bad weather, loose rocks, unstable snow or even just physical exhaustion which can happen at any time on my Expedition.
- There is no way of predicting all the hazards I may face. While NRE will take reasonable precautions to minimise the risks, there is no way NRE can guarantee my safety on this expedition 100%.
- Often areas of operation are remote with little or no medical support. In some remote areas self-rescue is the only option.
- My guide may need to begin first aid appropriate to the remoteness of the area and the nature of my ailment.
- While NRE will take all reasonable precautions to maintain my safety I understand that I also am responsible to act in a responsible and safe manner that will not endanger myself or others in my party.
- By signing or ticking this document I certify that I have read and understood these risks and they are acceptable to me.
- I also agree not to seek compensation, financial or otherwise from any incident that might occur during or associated with your trip, from NRE, it's directors, employees or subcontractors.
- I understand NRE will not accept my participation on expedition if I do not have suitable or sufficient travel insurance to cover such events as illness, remote area evacuation, etc.
- NRE is not responsible for any medical, hospital, doctor, rescue, evacuation, or associated transportation costs. We will where possible assist you with any emergency logistics in the event of problems.
To learn more about the No Roads - Education program please visit our project page where we have a latest news blog, links to recent expedition reports, more information about our mission and objectives and much more.
$3800 * AU
* Per Person Twin Share, Ex Port Moresby
* Per Person Twin Share, Ex Port Moresby